Oklahoma City Brain Injury Lawyer
Filing a Brain Injury Claim in Oklahoma
It goes without saying that brain injuries are among the most serious, life-changing injuries a person can sustain. If you or someone you love has suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you are likely facing a full range of challenges, from obtaining critical medical care to managing unexpected expenses to learning to live with significant and/or permanent impairments.
At Fulmer Sill, we understand how overwhelming a serious brain injury is, both for victims and their families. We also believe that, if someone else was to blame, you deserve justice and fair financial compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial damages. Our Oklahoma City brain injury attorneys offer a highly personalized, caring, and collaborative approach, one that has helped us secure millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. We are known for doing everything it takes to maximize the value of our clients’ claims, including litigating and trying cases in court when necessary.
Learn how our team can help you fight for fair compensation after a TBI; call (405) 433-7414 or contact us online for a free initial consultation and case review.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of acquired brain injury, meaning it occurs after a person is born. As the name implies, TBIs are associated with traumatic events, such as motor vehicle accidents, falls, and even acts of criminal violence.
There are several types of TBIs, including:
- Concussions: A concussion is a type of brain injury that occurs when an individual suffers a blow to the head, but can also be caused by whiplash type injuries/ being shaken about in a violent manner (such as in a rollover collision). Concussions are among the most common type of brain injury, affecting millions of people every year. Although some are classified as “less serious” than others, there is no such thing as a “minor” concussion.
- Contusions: A brain contusion is a bruise, or collection of blood, that forms on the brain. Typically, brain contusions co-occur with other TBIs, such as concussions. Although most will heal on their own, some brain contusions require surgical removal.
- Coup-Contrecoup: A coup-contrecoup brain injury occurs when a person suffers a blow to the head that is powerful enough to cause the brain to hit the opposite inside of the skull. This results in two injury points: one where the initial impact occurred and one on the opposite side.
- Diffuse Axonal Injury: A diffuse axonal injury (DAI) involves microscopic tears, known as “shearing,” along the connective tissues and fibers within the brain. Depending on the size of these tears, DAIs can lead to significant, permanent brain damage, coma, and death.
- Penetrating Injury: A penetrating brain injury involves an outside object (such as a bullet) breaking the skull and entering the head and/or brain. These types of TBIs are typically always catastrophic, and many penetrating brain injuries are fatal.
- Skull Fractures: A skull fracture refers to a fracture, or break, in the skull bone. Because the skull serves as the primary protective layer around the brain, skull fractures can lead to significant brain injuries, as well as coma and/or death.
All brain injuries are serious, and all require immediate medical attention. Often, victims will need ongoing treatment and rehabilitative therapy to address resulting complications, cognitive impairment, and even permanent disability as a result of severe TBIs.
What Are the Most Common Causes of TBIs?
While any traumatic event or serious accident can result in a TBI, statistically, some of these types of incidents more frequently lead to these types of injuries than others.
In the U.S., the most common causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, and other motor vehicle accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Falls, including slip and falls and falls from heights
- Recreational accidents, including boating, ATV, and RV accidents
- Violent crimes, including assault and assault with a deadly weapon
- Workplace accidents and job-related injuries
Our Oklahoma City brain injury attorneys work with accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, economists, and other specialists who provide expert testimony regarding the cause of our clients’ injuries, the severity of those injuries, and how those injuries affect our clients’ lives. With this information, we are able to portray a clear and accurate picture of the impact traumatic brain injuries have on victims and their loved ones.
Most importantly, we are committed to holding negligent and reckless parties accountable. If someone else’s careless or wrongful conduct caused you or your loved one to suffer a life-altering brain injury, reach out to our team at Fulmer Sill to learn how we can help you fight for the justice you deserve.
You do not pay any upfront or out-of-pocket legal fees when you work with Fulmer Sill. Instead, we only collect attorney fees if/when we recover compensation for you. Schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today to learn more.
Like other catastrophic injury claims, brain injury cases are complex. It is important that you work with an attorney who understands these injuries and who has access to medical professionals and other resources that can be used to prove the nature, severity, and extent of your injury, as well as how your injury has impacted your everyday life. To make matters worse, insurance companies aggressively defend TBI cases. Because brain injury claims often involve extensive damages, they tend to be higher in value than less-serious injury claims. As a result, insurance adjusters will often use a variety of tactics to dispute, devalue, or even outright deny valid TBI claims. Litigation may be necessary to seek the full, fair compensation you are owed for your medical expenses, future care costs, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other damages.
Our team has handled countless brain injury cases and has secured numerous million- and multimillion-dollar results for our clients. We utilize a collaborative, intentional approach and draw on decades of combined litigation experience to develop powerful, innovative, and personalized legal strategies for our clients. Throughout the process, we will remain accessible to you, providing consistent communication and answers to any questions you may have.
You can rely on our tenacious and hardworking team to fight tirelessly for every penny you are owed.