Oklahoma City Dump Truck Accident Attorneys
Were You Hit by a Dump Truck?
Fulmer Sills should be the first law firm you call if you were hit by a dump truck in Oklahoma City. The massive size and weight of dump trucks increase the risk of serious injuries in a crash, so the need for experienced legal counsel will be greater than the average truck accident. With decades of collective practice experience, our team of Oklahoma City dump truck accident lawyers is ready to handle all aspects of your case on your behalf. You deserve to rest and do your best to recover; make that possible by leaving the legal work up to us.
Contact us online or call (405) 433-7414 today to learn how to start a claim after a dump truck accident in Oklahoma City or the surrounding area.
What is a Dump Truck?
A dump truck is a specialized vehicle designed for transporting materials like sand, dirt, gravel, waste or garbage, and other loose materials. It features an open-box bed attached to the rear, which is hinged at the end, enabling the material in the bed to be 'dumped' on the ground behind the truck at the site of delivery. Many dump trucks are designed to lift the open-box bed with hydraulics to make it easier to dump the contents. Dump trucks are essential in construction sites, mining operations, and waste management facilities.
Why are Dump Truck Accidents So Dangerous?
Dump truck accidents are particularly dangerous due to several factors that are not found in most other types of vehicle accidents.
What factors make dump truck accidents so dangerous?
- Size: The sheer size of a dump truck contributes significantly to the severity of accidents because the vehicle occupies so much space on the road. It can be difficult for smaller vehicles to navigate around a dump truck that is driving erratically.
- Weight: A fully loaded dump truck can weigh up to 80,000 pounds based on typical industry regulations, which is more than 25 times the weight of an average car. This massive weight disparity can lead to devastating damage and injuries in a collision.
- Poor visibility: Dump truck drivers often struggle with poor visibility. The design of these trucks creates significant blind spots, making it difficult for drivers to see other vehicles, pedestrians, or obstacles around them. This lack of visibility increases the risk of accidents.
- Operation hazards: The nature of a dump truck's operation presents unique hazards. When material is being dumped, it can strike people or vehicles in the vicinity, causing injury or damage. Even small pieces of debris, when dropped from a height, can become dangerous to people nearby.
Is the Waste Management Company Liable?
In a dump truck accident, several parties can potentially be held liable depending on the specific circumstances of the incident. Our Oklahoma City dump truck accident attorneys have the experience, insight, and resources to investigate the cause of your accident and determine liability. No matter what party is deemed liable, we will be ready to file against them and take the matter into litigation if needed.
Liable parties in a dump truck accident could include:
- Dump truck driver: If the driver was negligent or reckless, such as speeding, not properly securing the load, or driving under the influence, they could be held responsible for the accident.
- Dump truck owner or leasing company: If the company that owns or leases the truck did not adequately maintain the vehicle, leading to mechanical failure and an accident, they could be held liable.
- Waste management company: If the waste management company failed to properly train their drivers, did not enforce safety protocols, or overloaded the trucks, they could be considered liable. Their liability could also come into play if they knowingly allowed an unfit driver to operate the truck.
- Manufacturer: If a defect in the truck or any of its components contributed to the accident, the manufacturer could be held responsible based on how that defect came to be.
- Maintenance companies: If a third-party company was responsible for maintaining the truck and performed their duties negligently, leading to an accident, they could be held liable for the resulting injuries and damages.
Call Today to Speak with Our Attorneys
At Fulmer Sill, we understand the devastating impact a dump truck accident can have on your life. Our dedicated legal team is ready to help you prepare and file a claim. Our Oklahoma City dump truck accident lawyers can navigate the complexities of injury and liability laws, so you don’t have to worry about those details. We can help by gathering evidence, determining liability, calculating damages, advocating for you in settlement negotiations or at trial, and much more.
Time is of the essence when it comes to these accidents, as important evidence can be lost, and there are also legal time limits for filing claims. The sooner you start the process, the stronger your case can be. Don't wait to seek the justice and compensation you deserve.
Reach out to us today for a free consultation, and let us put our experience and resources to work for you.