Oklahoma City Birth Injury Attorneys
We Fight for the Care & Compensation You Need
At Fulmer Sill, our attorneys realize that birth injuries not only have physical and emotional consequences, but also place a financial strain on the child’s family. When a birth injury is caused by the negligence of a doctor or another healthcare provider, the family may be able to recover compensation for these costs through a birth injury lawsuit. When an infant suffers a birth injury, the child’s parents may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the doctor or medical professional(s) who delivered the baby. To have a valid claim, negligence must have led directly to the birth injury.
Birth Injury Negligence
Our birth injury attorneys have extensive experience in handling these types of lawsuits and can determine whether your child was injured due to medical malpractice.
Birth injuries may be caused by:
- Improper forceps use
- Improper vacuum use
- Delay in ordering a caesarian section
- Failing to properly use the labor-inducing drug Pitocin
- Neglecting to perform specialized tests during pregnancy
- Failing to diagnose or treat infections, placental abruption or previa, umbilical cord entrapment, or premature rupture of the membranes
- Neglecting to refer high-risk patients to doctors specialized in this area
- Failing to note and address changes in the fetus’ condition
- Failing to perform sufficient prenatal testing
- Neglecting to communicate problems to doctors
Common Newborn Birth Injuries
- Clavicle fracture
- Brain damage or head trauma
- Brachial plexus palsy
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Facial paralysis
- Injuries resulting from Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE)
Possible Damage Recoveries
When a child suffers a severe birth injury as a result of medical negligence, the family may be entitled to monetary damages. Damages provide compensation for losses suffered as a result of the medical provider’s negligence. Damages can cover both monetary losses and intangible losses, such as a decreased quality of life.
Compensation for the following may be available in a birth injury lawsuit:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Additional healthcare costs
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of society and companionship
- Loss of life’s enjoyment
Do You Have Questions About a Birth Injury?
The damages that can result from a birth injury can be both physically and emotionally daunting. When you have your future on the line, you cannot afford to put your trust in an inexperienced attorney. Instead, you need to seek the guidance of attorneys who have extensive experience and resources to either reach a favorable settlement or win your case at trial. We have done both on behalf of our clients on numerous occasions. At Fulmer Sill, we are proud to deliver high-quality assistance to all our clients. Should you choose to seek our legal representation, we are confident that our experience and knowledge will produce a favorable outcome for you. All initial consultations are free, and we don’t charge any up-front fees for representation. We handle all fees on a contingency basis, meaning that unless we’re successful, you don’t have to pay us.