Taxotere® (docetaxel) is a chemotherapy drug approved in the treatment of breast cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, advanced stomach cancer, head and neck cancer and metastatic prostate cancer. It is administered intravenously through a vein, and is member of a family of drugs called taxanes. It is used to try to prevent cancer cells from growing and dividing. Taxotere is normally used in combination with other drugs such as capecitabine, cisplatin, fluorouracil, doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide to fight off cancer and provide patients with better survival rates. It acts as an anti-mitotic agent, meaning that it disrupts cellular division. It is usually administered intravenously during one hour-long infusion cycles that are then repeated every 3-4 weeks.
Most chemotherapy drugs are known to cause temporary hair loss, with hair growing back soon after treatment ends. Unfortunately, that has not been the case with Taxotere users diagnosed with Alopecia Universalis, a condition characterized by a loss of all body hair that might never return. Another serious potential side effect from Taxotere is neutropenic enterocolitis, which is inflammation of a small pouch located at the head of the large intestine. Although the condition is rare, it can be fatal. Additional common side effects while using Taxotere include:
- BONE, MUSCLE OR JOINT PAIN
- ATIGUE & WEAKNESS
- FLUID RETENTION WITH WEIGHT GAIN, SWELLING OF THE ANKLES OR ABDOMINAL AREA
- LOW RED BLOOD CELL COUNT (ANEMIA)
- MOUTH OR THROAT SORES
- NAIL CHANGES (COLOR CHANGES TO FINGERNAILS OR TOENAILS)
- PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY (NUMBNESS IN FINGERS & TOES)
- TASTE CHANGES
Claims are being filed against the manufacture, Sanofi-Aventis by women who have suffered permanent hair loss as a result of being prescribed Taxotere. Attorneys state that if the manufacturer had properly warned of the risks, patients would have been prescribed a different chemotherapy drug called Taxol, which is more effective than Taxotere, and does not result in permanent hair loss. Further Alligations Include:
- TAXOTERE IS DEFECTIVE & UNREASONABLY DANGEROUS
- SANOFI-AVENTIS WAS NEGLIGENT IN THE MANUFACTURING OF TAXOTERE
- SANOFI-AVENTIS FAILED TO PROPERLY TEST TAXOTERE, & FAILED TO WARN DOCTORS & PATIENTS OF THE POTENTIAL FOR ALOPECIA
- SANOFI-AVENTIS CONCEALED EVIDENCE OF THE DANGERS OF TAXOTERE , & MISREPRESENTED THE EFFECTIVENESS & SAFETY OF IT IN ITS MARKETING MATERIAL
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT INJURIES RELATED TO TAXOTERE?
If you or a loved one have been affected by the drug Taxotere, we encourage you to consult with our team as soon as possible. With our extensive knowledge and expertise, you can rest assured that should you choose to work with us, you will have legal representation that you can trust. All initial consultations are free, and we don’t charge any up-front fees for representation. We handle all fees on a contingency basis, meaning that unless we’re successful, you don’t have to pay us. Please contact us at (405)510.0077 for a free consultation or request a case review here.