An automobile accident can change your life in an instant. You may be injured, forced to miss work, or even worse – you could lose a family member. After an accident, the first thing you should do is seek the proper medical treatment. Your health and the health of anyone in your vehicle during the accident is the top priority. Next, you’ll likely contact your insurance company to file a claim and then make any arrangements for a rental if your vehicle is no longer drivable. But it’s what you do after this that could make all the difference. Third, we recommend consulting an experienced personal injury attorney, especially if the other party was at fault.
If you’ve recently been injured in an automobile accident there’s no time to waste. A personal injury attorney can assist you in the following ways:
- Offer Advice and Explain Your Options – The main mistake people make after an automobile accident is not fully understanding their situation and the options they have for compensation. Often, people attempt to handle matters on their own, resulting in missed opportunities to receive damages in full. The sooner after an accident you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney, the more likely it is they’ll be able to collect key evidence to help get the compensation you deserve. They know the questions to ask and the information to gather and will present you with options to consider.
- File a Personal Injury Lawsuit Against the Other Party – Don’t delay contacting an attorney as they may have a limited time frame in which they can file a lawsuit against the person at fault and/or their insurer, if it’s even necessary. Some states classify as a “No-Fault State,” meaning the claim is filed with the individual’s insurance company no matter who was at fault. However, in the event you need to file a lawsuit against the guilty party, your attorney will deal directly with the insurance companies, which brings us to our next point below.
- Communicate on Your Behalf – After an accident, you’ll be contacted by various parties such as the insurance company, auto repair shop, and healthcare providers. When you work with a personal injury attorney, they can take some of the burdens off your hands by speaking with the insurance company in particular. This leaves you more time to focus on your health and managing your family’s transportation arrangements and so forth.
- Determine Damages Owed to You – Most people don’t know the full scope of what they can collect after an automobile accident. Depending on the severity, the types of compensation you may receive include: Current medical expenses, future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, pain & suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium. Depending on the specifics, an attorney may be able to identify wrongful death damages as well. Wrongful death claims require the family to prove the same facts as the deceased, had they survived and pursued a claim on their own.
- Fight for You and Deliver a Win – Lastly, the big insurance companies are designed to pay out as little money as possible. Your knowledgeable personal injury attorney is aware of the ways they will attempt to avoid paying a fair settlement. Next, they’ll prove your personal injury claim and negotiate for a fair settlement.
The damages that can result from an automobile accident can be both physically and emotionally daunting. Don’t deal with the stress on your own. At Fulmer Sill, we’re confident that our experience and knowledge will produce a favorable outcome for you. All initial consultations are free, and we don’t charge any up-front fees for representation. We handle all fees on a contingency basis, meaning that unless we’re successful, you don’t have to pay us. Please contact us at (405)510.0077 for a free consultation or request a case review here.